Whenever I’m feeling down there’s nothing like a good travel quote to pick me up again. Whether I want some spirited wisdom or a way to fuel my wanderlust, these quotes are the best way to inspire.
With encouragement from some of my favorite authors, poets, and personalities from around the globe, these inspiring quotes focus on adventure, ignite your sense of purpose, and will give you a good kick in the pants to go out there and live your life. You can use these quotes to motivate yourself, or on Instagram to inspire others.
You know when you find a message that resonates deep down in your soul? These great quotes do that. They spark that innate need we all have to live our life to the fullest. We can all relate to these inspiring travel quotes. Whether you need a creative caption for Instagram or just want a reminder of why you travel, these quotes provoke the travel bug in all of us. Just a warning: they might make your hop on the next flight!
I’ve scoured the globe (and the internet) to bring you the best travel quotes. These adages help us reflect on WHY we travel and persuade us to live life to the fullest. If you’re feeling the urge to explore or want a reminder of why you travel, these sayings prompt us to stop and look at the world around us. I picked the best travel quotes around, quotes from my favorite people, and quotes that help us think. I also threw in some funny travel quotes as well!
As a frequent traveller and travel blogger, I know just how important it is to share my message and my travels with those that follow me. The motivational and inspirational quotes help to illustrate the world around me.
Best Travel Quotes
Top Inspirational Travel Quotes
Whether you prefer short or long quotes, these are some of the most loved and memorable quotes of all time. If you need the perfect quote for any trip, these have you covered. From famous sayings to brilliant proclamations, these quotes stand the test of time.
1. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien. If you want to share about life on the road or how you’re wandering the globe, this is the perfect quote.
2. “If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine: It’s lethal.” – Paulo Coelho. Words of wisdom from one of all time favorite authors. If you haven’t read The Alchemist pick it up now! Not only does Coelho share quotes to inspire, he will fuel your dreams and encourage you to see the world.
3. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
4. “Collect moments, not things.” – Unknown. The perfect end-note to your travel photos on Instagram.
5. “When you come to a fork in the road, take it” – Yogi Berra
6. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Unknown.
7. “Adventure is worthwhile.” – Aesop
8. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain. Travel inspiration from one of the greatest writers of all time.
9. “Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.” – Ernest Hemingway. Travel experts know the importance of this one!
10. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag. My travels always inspire me to add more to my bucketlist!
11. “To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
12. “Not until we are lost do we begin to find ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau. As an expat who moved abroad to a country I’d never been to before, I know how many great things come out of getting our of your comfort zone and trying something new. Sometimes, you just need to believe in yourself and let go of any doubts.
13. “Better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.” – Asian Proverb
14. “Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty
15. “Wanderlust: n. a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world.”
16. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller. In mu opinion, one of the most inspiring quotes, especially considering the source. The author had much adversity to overcome, yet continues to never give up.
17. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
Travel Quotes by Authors
Authors often transfix us with their words and take us to places unknown. These are some of the best quotes that inspire wanderlust, all from some of the world’s best writers. If these don’t make you want to take an adventure, I don’t know what will!
18. “The world is full of wonderful things you haven’t seen yet. Don’t ever give up on the chance of seeing them.” – J.K. Rowling
19. “Travel is never a matter of money but of courage.” – Paulo Coelho
20. “Life is a journey, not a destination.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
21. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anaïs Nin
22. “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson.
23. “People don’t take trips… trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
24. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
25. “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
26. “Traveling’s not something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like breathing.” – Gayle Foreman
27. “The journey not the arrival matters.” – T.S. Eliot
28. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
29. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
30. “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret.” – Oscar Wilde
31. “The most beautiful thing in the world is, of course, the world itself.” – Wallace Stevens
32. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” – James Michener
33. “Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it?” – Caroline Myss
Beautiful Travel Quotes
Invoking the globe-trotting spirit in all of us, these travel the world quotes are notably lovely.
34. “Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.” – Anthony Bourdain
35. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
36. “Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.” – Jennifer Lee. This inspirational quote works for almost any instance in life.
37. “We wander for distraction but we travel for fulfillment.” – Hilaire Belloc
38. “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” – Rachel Wolchin
39. “Once a year, go somewhere you have never been before.” Dalai Lama
40. “Travel is rich with learning opportunities, and the ultimate souvenir is a broader perspective.” – Rick Steves
41. “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” – Roy M. Goodman
42. “The pleasure we derive from journeys is perhaps dependent more on the mindset with which we travel than on the destination we travel to” – Alain de Botton
42. “I travel because it makes me realize how much I haven’t seen, how much I’m not going to see, and how much I still need to see.” – Carew Papritz. As a travel writer, I know this all too well.
43. “It feels good to be lost in the wrong direction.” – Unknown
Short Travel Quotes
Sometimes we need a few words that uplift us. These quotes do the job. Often it’s the short sayings that give us the most sense of adventure.
44. “Oh the places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
45. “The only journey is the one within.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
46. “Life is meant for good friends and great adventures.” – Unknown
47. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
48. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell. One of the most motivational quotes to get out there and live life to the fullest.
49. “Don’t listen to what they say. Go see.” – Unknown
50. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well.” – Eugene Fodor
Funny and Interesting Travel Quotes
I love a good quick-witted line for Instagram. These are some of the most eye-catching and funny captions for Instagram.
51. “Jet lag is for amateurs.” – Dick Clark
52. “Adventure without risk is Disneyland.” – Doug Coupland
53. “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.” – Melody Truong
54. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
55. “Traveling—it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta. To me, some of the best places I’ve traveled make for the best stories.
56. “Travel as much, as far, and as long as you can. Life’s not meant to be lived in one place.” – Unknown
57. “It’s not the destination, but the glory of the ride” – Edward Monkton
58. “My favorite thing is to go where I’ve never been.” – Diane Arbus
59. “One day you’ll leave this world behind so live a life you will remember.” – Avicii
60. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley
61. “All you hear is time stand still in travel. And feel such peace and absolute” – R.E.M
62. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends” – Maya Angelou
63. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Unknown
64. “There are seven days in a week and “someday” isn’t one of them.” – Benny Lewis. The perfect quote to remind us to keep moving and striving for the best.
65. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
I hope these quotes have sparked your wanderlust! These are my favorite travel quotes that I turn to whenever I need a pick-me-up. To me, these aren’t just travel quotes, but some of the best explanations of how to live life. Yes, some are cheesy, but these quotes can help you overcome any post-travel blues or encourage you to share your favorite snaps on Instagram.
I love quotes about travel not just for myself, but share them on Instagram, text them to friends, I put them in notes, on my phone case, and I scribble them on my to-do lists. I collect them, almost like prized possessions, eager to look back on them like I do an old photograph. Now, you tell me: what’s your favorite travel quote.
Whether you’re traveling around the world, taking a road trip, overcoming an obstacle, or dreaming to change your life, I think these quotations can help.
Want some more inspiration? Check out these posts:
Best Places to Travel in 2019
My Ultimate Life Bucket List – 100 Ideas for Travel and Goals
How I’m Traveling the World Without Quitting My Job
Whenever I’m feeling down there’s nothing like a good travel quote to pick me up again. Whether I want some spirited wisdom or a way to fuel my wanderlust, these quotes are the best way#Inspirational #Travel #Quotes.