Here are 253 inspiring travel quotes that I’ve collected from REAL travellers over the Christmas season – the LONGEST LIST of travel quotes you can ever find!
Short, funny and inspiring, this is a list of travel the world quotes by your favourite cartoon characters, music artists, favourite movies and inspirational figures about adventure travel, time travel and love.
Think Winnie the Pooh, Avicii, the Kinks, Dumbledore, the Hobbit, Helen Keller, Albert Einstein, Game of Thrones, Disney’s Brave and more!
All these characters and real travellers share a piece of sound advice in the form of travel quotes to inspire and encourage you to get out there and explore the world!
If you love travel – whether solo travel or travelling with friends – I am sure you can resonate with some of these quotes about travel.
You can get some ideas for captions for your travel photos too.
Above all, I hope some of these travel sayings will spur you to take your next trip and hesitate no further!
Short Travel Quotes
1. Above all, try something. – Franklin D. Roosevelt
2. Action expresses priorities. – Ghandi
3. Always be brave and wild at heart.
4. Attack life, it’s gonna kill you anyway.
5. Away we go.
6. Can’t never could do nothing.
7. Carpe Diem!
8. Catch flights, not feelings.
9. Cover the earth before it covers you.
10. Die with memories, not dreams.
11. Do it with passion or not at all.
12. Eat well, travel often.
13. Find joy in the journey.
14. Fortune favours the brave.
15. Go big or go home.
16. Have less, do more.
17. I go to seek a Great Perhaps.
18. I work to live, I don’t live to work.
19. If not now, then when?
20. If you wait for others, you’ll never go.
21. it’s all about the journey.
22. Let’s wander where the Wi-Fi is weak.
23. Life is short and the world is wide.
24. Little by little, one travels far.
25. Live a ‘fuck yes’ life.
26. Live like a local.
27. Make yourself go places.
28. Not all those who wander are lost.
29. NOW = No Opportunity Wasted
30. Pack light. Travel far.
31. Show up. Don’t show off.
32. Sleep when you’re dead.
33. Table for one. Drinks for two.
34. The best journey takes you home.
35. The longest trip starts with one step.
36. The oceans’ roar is music to the soul.
37. The things I love are not at home.
38. The world is your oyster.
39. Travel far enough; you meet yourself.
40. Travel is always a good idea.
41. Travel is the healthiest addiction.
42. Travel the world and know its people. – Bertram Stone
43. We’re lost – who cares.
44. Who lives see, who travels sees more.
45. Work. Save. Travel. Repeat.
Funny Travel Quotes
1. If we were meant to spend our lives in one place, we’d have roots instead of legs.
2. If you’re not living on the edge, you taking up too much damn space. 😏
3. If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.
4. No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride…and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well…maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.” – Hunter S. Thompson
5. The best thing you can possibly do with your life is to tackle the motherfucking shit out of it. – Cheryl Strayed
6. Traveling is like flirting with life… it’s saying “I’d love to stay and love you… but I have to go.”
7. We dance even if there’s no radio. We drink at funerals. We talk too much and laugh too loud and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of others who don’t.
8. Your body’s not a temple. It’s a theme park. Enjoy the ride. – Anthony Bourdain
Quotes about Travel and Love
1. Age is irrelevant. Ask me how many sunsets I’ve seen, hearts I’ve loved, trips I’ve taken, or concerts I’ve been to. That’s how old I am.
2. I’m in love with places I’ve never been and people I’ve never seen.
3. Never go in search of love, go in search of life and life will find you the love you seek.
4. Veni Vidi Amavi. (We came, we saw, we loved.)
Time Travel Quotes
1. 60’s are go-go, 70’s are go-slow, 80’s are no-go…travel while you’re young enough.
2. A meteor could hit us tomorrow so might as well life your best life now.
3. And then there is the most dangerous risk of all – the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.
4. Are you satisfied where you are, doing the same thing everyday?
5. At 22, you think of the possibilities. At 32, you think of the limitations. Do IT before it is too late.
6. Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. – Jack Kerouac
7. Do it now. Sometimes later becomes never.
8. Don’t live the same year 75 times and call it life. – Robin Sharma
9. I’d rather look back at my life and say “I can’t believe I did that,” instead of saying “I wish I did that.”
10. In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. – Abraham Lincoln
11. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!
12. One life. Just one. Why aren’t we running like we are on fire towards our wildest dream?
13. See the world – my only regret is that I never travelled.
14. You only get one life. It’s actually your duty to live it as fully as possible. – Me Before You
15. They say one day you’ll leave this world behind, so live a life you will remember. – Avicci
16. Travel when you are young and don’t wait until it is a “right” time.
17. Travel while you’re young and able. Don’t worry about the cost; just make it happen!
18. Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery.
19. You can always make more money but you can’t always make more memories.
20. Your money will return, your time won’t.
Quotes about Adventure and Travel
1. Adventure awaits.
2. Adventure before dementia.
3. Adventure is on the other side of fear.
4. Adventure is out there!
5. And now…let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure. – Dumbledore
6. Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.
7. Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell not stuff to show.
8. Grand adventures await those who are willing to turn the corner.
9. I was completely intimidated, and I was absolutely at peace. I was at the beginning of an adventure.
10. I’d rather die on an adventure, than live standing still.
11. It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing. It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive. – Oriah Mountain Dreamer
12. Jobs fill your pockets, but adventures fill your soul.
13. Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure. – Dumbledore
14. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. – Helen Keller
15. Life is for deep kisses, strange adventures, midnight swims, & rambling conversations.
16. The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is attitude.
17. To live would be an awfully big adventure!
18. Travel. Make Memories. Have adventures. Because I guarantee when your 85 and on your death bed, you won’t think about that flashy car your bought, or the 20 pairs of designer shoes you owned. But you will think about that time you got lost in your favourite city. The nights spent falling in love under the stars, the mornings you woke up and watched the sunrise with random people you’d never known for more than 24 hours. The time you got heat stroke because you’d be out in the sun all day drinking beer and laughing. You’ll think of the moments that made you truly feel alive. And at the very end, those memories will be the only possessions that you own.
19. We must take adventures in order to know where we truly belong.
Inspirational Travel Quotes
1. Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music – the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself. – Henry Miller
2. Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.
3. I never worry about the future. It comes soon enough. – Albert Einstein
4. I urge you; go find buildings and mountains and oceans to swallow you whole. They will save you, in a way nothing else can. – Christopher Poindexter
5. If I’d followed all the rules, I’d never have gotten anywhere. – Marilyn Monroe
6. In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself. – Frantz Fanon
7. It is only after you travel far that you truly understand where you come from.
8. It seems that the more places I see and experience, the bigger I realize the world to be. The more I become aware of, the more I realize how relatively little I know of it, how many places I still have to go, the more there is to learn. Maybe that’s enlightenment enough; to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom…is realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go. – Anthony Bourdain
9. Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. – Andre Gide
10. One who makes no mistakes makes nothing at all. – Giacomo Casanova
11. Promise me you’ll always remember: you’re braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.
12. Sometimes when you lose your way, you find yourself. – Mandy Hale
13. The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn’t even think to ask. – Jeff Johnson
14. The earth never tires, The earth is rude, silent, incomprehensible at first, Nature is rude and incomprehensible at first, Be not discouraged, keep on, there are divine things well envelop’d, I swear to you there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell. – Walt Whitman, “Song of the Open Road”
15. The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith. – Franklin D. Roosevelt
16. The only true failure would be not to explore at all. – Ernest Shackleton
17. The traveller sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see. – G.K. Chesterton
18. The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. – Saint Augustine
19. The world is not in your maps and books. It’s out there. – The Hobbit
20. The world is smaller than you think, and the people on it are more beautiful than you think.
21. To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life. – The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
22. Travel as much as you can. As far as you can. As long as you can. Life’s not meant to be lived in one place.
23. Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world. – Gustav Flaubert
24. Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks — on your body or on your heart — are beautiful. Often though, they hurt. – Anthony Bourdain
25. Travelling gives you home in a thousand strange places, then leaves you a stranger in your own land. – Ibn Batuta
26. Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime. – Mark Twain
27. Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts. It even breaks your heart, but that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind. – Anthony Bourdain
28. Travelling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things: air, sleep, dreams, sea, the sky. All things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it. – Cesare Pavese
29. Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowliness. Sail away from the safe habour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. – Mark Twain
30. Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
31. We leave something of ourselves behind when we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there. – Pascal Mercier
32. We travel because we need to, because distance and difference are the secret tonic to creativity. When we get home, home is still the same, but something in our minds have changed, and that changes everything.
33. When in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose. – Gandalf
34. Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. – Terry Pratchett.
35. You should enjoy the little detours in life to the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want. – Ging Freecss
36. You will never be completely at home again because part of your heart always will be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place. – Miriam Adeney
Solo Female Travel Quotes
1. As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world. – Virginia Woolf
2. If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad. – Jane Austen
3. Love her but leave her wild.
4. Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without travelling. – Roman Payne
5. She was afraid of heights, but she was much more afraid of never flying.
6. She was free in her wildness. She was a wanderess, a drop of free water. She belonged to no man and no city. – Roman Payne
7. She was never quite ready. But she was brave. And the universe listens to brave.
8. The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. – Albert Einstein
9. Though she be but little, she is fierce. – Shakespeare, A Mid-Summer’s Night Dream
10. Wanderlust consumed her; foreign hearts and exotic minds compelled her. She had a gypsy soul and a vibrant hope for the unknown. – D. Marie
11. Women and Wolves have much in common. Both share a wild spirit. Women and Wolves are instinctual creatures, able to sense the unseen. They are loyal, protective of their packs and of their pups. They are wild and beautiful. Both have been hunted and captured. Even in captivity, one can see in the eyes of a Woman, or a Wolf, the longing to run free, and the determination that should the opportunity arise, whoosh, they will be gone… – Clarissa Pinkola Estés
Happiness Travel Quotes
1. Happiness is looking down on your next destination from your plane window.
2. I want to be able to sleep in an open field, to travel west, to walk freely at night. – Sylvia Plath
3. Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. – Roy M. Goodman
4. Stop waiting for Friday, for summer, for someone to fall in love with you, for life. Happiness is achieved when you stop waiting for it and make the most of the moment you are in now.
5. You can’t buy happiness but you can buy a plane ticket, and that’s kind of the same thing.
Travel Quotes to Fight Fear
1. A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
2. Do one thing a day that scares you. – Eleanor Roosevelt
3. From a fellow traveler whose name I never got, when I asked her if the Trans-Siberian railroad was scary: ” Yes, but my curiosity is stronger than my fear.”
4. Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.” – The Princess Diaries
5. Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life.
6. May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears. – Nelson Mandela
7. The more I travelled, the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends. – Shirley MacLaine
8. The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. – Eleanor Roosevelt
9. If you’re scared to die, you better not be scared to live.
10. If your dreams don’t scare you, they’re not big enough.
Travel The World Quotes
1. A mind stretched by new experiences can never go back to old dimensions.
2. A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not why ships are built.
3. And at the end of the day, your feet should be dirty, your hair messy and your eyes sparkling. – Shanti
4. Are we living a life that is free from harm? Of course not. But that’s not the right question. We should be asking if we are living a life that is WORTH the harm.
5. Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid!
6. Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.
7. Better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.
8. Change your latitude, and you just might change your attitude.
9. Chase the wind and touch the sky! – Brave, Disney
10. Do what makes you happy.
11. Don’t live to work, work to live.
12. Don’t be so poor that all you have is money.
13. Don’t dream your life, live your dream.
14. Don’t listen to what they say. Go see it for yourself!
15. Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.
16. Follow wherever your feet will take you. But never forget to wander home.
17. Go anywhere, as long as it is forward.
18. Go with your gut. Follow your smile.
19. Hardship often prepares people for an extraordinary destiny.
20. Have faith in how far you can go, and be proud of how far you have come.
21. Here for a good time, not a long time.
22. Here is freedom waiting for you,
On the breezes of the sky,
And you ask… “What if I fall?”
Oh but my darling,
What if you fly?
– Erin Hanson
23. Home is where the heart is and my heart is wherever I am at the moment.
24. I always get to where I’m going by walking away from where I’ve been. – Winnie the Pooh
25. I believe if you get up and go, life will open up for you – Tina Turner
26. I don’t know where i am going next, but I am going somewhere.
27. I don’t know where I’ll be going but I can promise it won’t be boring.
28. I don’t have a quote, but I have this smile. I use it wherever I go and I find favour because of it.
29. I have an insane calling to be where I’m not.
30. I have come to an unalterable decision – to go and live forever in Polynesia. Then I can end my days in peace and freedom, without thoughts of tomorrow and this eternal struggle against idiots. – Paul Gauguin
31. I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list. – Susan Sontag
32. I set out alone, having neither fellow-traveller in whose companionship I might find cheer, nor caravan whose part I might join, but swayed by an overmastering impulse within me and a desire long-cherished in my bosom to visit these illustrious sanctuaries. – Ibn Battutta
33. I travel not escape life but so life does not escape me.
34. I want to make memories all over the world.
35. I’m not afraid of storms anymore, for I’m learning to sail my ship. – Louisa May Alcott
36. I’m not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world. – Mary Anne Radmacher
37. I’d rather have a passport full of stamps, than a house full of stuff.
38. I’m not sure what i’ll do, but – well, I want to go places and see people. I want my mind to grow, want to live where things happen on a big scale. – F. Scott Fitzgerald
39. If something good happens, travel to celebrate. If something bad happens, travel to forget. If nothing happens, travel to make something happen.
40. If you follow your personal destiny, the world will unfold in your favour. – The Alchemist
41. In the end, I want to look back and know I’ve lived a life worth living.
42. It feels good to be lost in the right direction.
43. It’s not where you go but who you go with!
44. It’s a big and beautiful world. Most of us live and die in the same corner where we were born and never get to see any of it… I don’t want to be most of us. – Oberyn Martell, Game of Thrones
45. It’s hard to climb the ladder when you’re on the wrong wall.
46. Je suis une enfant du monde. (I am a child of the world.)
47. Let your feet wander, your eyes marvel, and your soul ignite.
48. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
49. Life is about the journey, not the destination.
50. Life is short. Live your dreams & travel often!
51. Life is tricky baby – stay in your magic.
52. Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “holy shit.. What a ride!”
53. Life’s not meant to be spent in the same place.
54. Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember and remember more than I have seen. – Benjamin Disraeli
55. My goal is to run out of pages in my passport.
56. Never go too long without watching a sunset.
57. Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me. As ever is so on the road.
58. Now more than ever I realize I will never be content with a sedentary life, that I will always be haunted with thoughts of a sun-drenched elsewhere. – Isabelle Eberhardt
59. Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found in between the pages of a passport.
60. Oh the places you will go~
61. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
62. Sometimes, you just need a break. In a beautiful place. Alone. To figure everything out.
63. Strangers on this road we are on / We are not two we are one. – The Kinks
64. The future is in the hands of those who explore.
65. The less you pay, the longer you can stay. Make memories.
66. The mountains are calling and I must go.
67. The world is too big to tell just one story.
68. The world is your canvas, create your own masterpiece.
69. There are things worse than death, like regret.
70. There are very few corners left on this planet where you are not following in everyone else’s footsteps. I wanted to find them.
71. They tried to bury us, but they didn’t know we were seeds.
72. Think about it. Humans have always explored.
73. To believe there is life beyond the limits is to believe there is life at all.
74. To explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man (or woman) has gone before!
75. To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, to gain all while you give, to roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live.
76. Tomorrow was a mystery, and that mystery was terrifying. It was also the most enticing thing in the world.
77. Travel – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.
78. Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse. -Thomas Fuller
79. Travelling is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.
80. We are all stardust on the winds of time.
81. We have nothing to lose and a world to see.
82. We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls. – Anaïs Nin
83. We’re all stories in the end. So make it a good one.
84. Well, it’s a road. It must go somewhere.
85. What good is living the life you’ve been given, if all you do is stand in a place?
86. What you can learn on the streets of a foreign country you won’t get from the best University. – Bertram Stone
87. What you do in between is what makes all the difference.
88. Travel is my religion.
89. Wildflowers don’t care where they grow. – Dolly Parton
90. You can never see everything, so just enjoy the place you’re at.
91. You don’t have to have it figured out to move forward!
92. You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose. – Dr Seuss
93. You live your life. You don’t just exist. So why limit yourself to the small radius you call home?
94. You only live once, but if you do it right than once is enough.
95. You step out onto the road and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you may be swept off to. – J. R. R Tolkien.
Not enough of inspirational travel quotes? What about funny vacation memes? Go ahead, laugh your socks off. 😛
A collection of inspiring quotes to uplift you and fill you with positivity and hope.#Inspirational #Travellers #Wanderlust